The Director of Psychiatry provides initial evaluations of resident with mental or emotional problems. Offers counseling and psychotherapy to residents in distress. The Director will be based at our treatment center in Bethlehem, CT.
The new Director of Psychiatry will report to the Executive Director.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Oversees Psychiatric care of all residents
- Functions as an effective member of the mental health team.
- Reviews medical concerns/history for potential resident for medical clearance at the request of Admissions
- Ensures that a Psychiatric Evaluations are performed on each East Coast resident/patient within 48 hours of admission
- Attend to residents requiring psychiatric assistance while in treatment.
- Facilitate Staff Trainings on pertinent Psychiatric issues and standards
- Attend weekly Treatment Team Meetings
- Liaison with staff Medical Director, Clinical Director and other necessary treatment team members
- Assist Newport Academy Outreach Team forge relationships with hospitals.
- Works in collaboration with staff APRN
- Documents patient encounters through weekly progress notes and EMR
- Manages a case load of up to 32 residents in collaboration with APRN.
- Coordinates psychology services with direct care and clinical staff as indicated.
- Experience with adolescent psychiatry preferred
- Experience in a residential setting preferred
- Medical Director/Physician leadership experience preferred
- Must be passionate about Newport Academy’s mission.
- Recognizes current developments, trends and research in the field of medicine and psychiatry.
- Understanding of clinical supervisory principles and practices.
- Pharmacology and psychopharmacology including laws regarding informed consent, dosage ranges, drug incompatibilities, and side effects.
- Strong understanding of HIPPA regulations.
- Doctorate in Medicine (MD)
- Board Certified in Child, Adolescent and Adult Psychiatry
- Licensed in the State of Connecticut
Newport Academy was founded with the mission to provide teens and their families with the highest-quality care and treatment for trauma, mental health issues, eating disorders, and substance abuse. Newport Academy, a different kind of teen rehab, nurtures the physical, psychological, social, educational, and spiritual needs of adolescents and their families from a foundation of compassionate care, clinical expertise, and unconditional love.